The House of Lonely Thoughts

A house of all our thoughts, expressed in lyricism and writing.

Friday, May 12, 2006

My Caged Birds

You never even look twice.
I gather my things,
Slowly, in a daze,
Prisoner of my own device.

The tears are there,
Flooding my thoughts,
Drowning my words,
The tears are there, I swear...

I know you can't see them,
I know I can't cry.
I just wish I could open
The doors and let them fly.

But caged birds often forget,
That it's in the open they belong.
The cage slowly dampens the regret,
And frees them from their song.

A song I've forgotten,
Don't you think I know?
That's why I'm standing here, broken,
Dreading to show
What I want you to know.

So I stand there and smile,
A smile as cold as ice.
But you give me a brief smile back
And never look twice.

Can't you see it in my eyes?
Isn't it as obvious as can be?
Can't you just look again,
One look will set me free.

And now I'm alone again,
No comfort in my own company.
Left alone to build the cage again,
Making sure the tears are never free.

Because caged birds shall never fly,
To friends or family,
And caged birds shall never cry,
For some hope or memory.

---

It has been a while since I posted here. I just had this poem in me somewhere, needed to get it out. One of my moods, yes. Heh. Feeling angsty. What can I say? Bio tends to do that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lawrence Wang said...

So full of angst. You're so emo.

Imagine my surprise when I saw a non-Wang post on Lonely thoughts. Its been a while since your last post, dear.

Now, comments:

First three stanzas are somewhat lacking, I feel. I like the development from simple, short lines into the more wordy lengths further on, but it also feels a bit lacking, somehow.

"And never even look twice."

I think the even detracts from this line.

"One look and set me free."

I think replace and with will.

"
Because caged birds shall never fly,
To friends or family,
And caged birds shall never cry,
For some hope or memory."

AWESOME.

Now do a prose version of this :P

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home